Often referred to as the heart of the home, in many ways your kitchen defines your lifestyle and as such, is the one place where look, feel and practicality need to seamlessly combine, without any compromises. While your decorating style will predominately dictate the look and feel of your kitchen, when it comes to practicality the first step is getting the layout right.
So, let’s look at the five most common kitchen layouts:
A flexible layout popular with large families, U-shape kitchens accommodate multiple cooks, while also working well in square or long narrow spaces.
- Encourages integration when placed opposite the living area, without the noise levels or cleaning pressures often associated with island benches
- For larger spaces, a central dining table can be incorporated within the U to provide a casual dining atmosphere
- The amount of storage can be overwhelming, so selecting the right cabinetry, fixtures and fittings is vital
- Ideal for more traditional decorating styles, as opposed to contemporary or Scandinavian
To eliminate the amount of distance between the zones of your kitchen, be mindful of your U-shape layout width
4. Straight Line
Ideal for small open-plan spaces or large spaces in which you’d like to dine in the kitchen.
In straight line kitchen layouts, the fridge is generally placed at one end while the oven, microwave and pantry are placed at the other. To balance these items within the layout, the bench, cooktop and sink are placed in-between.
- Ideal for square open-plan spaces
- Perfect for contemporary, modern and Scandinavian decorating styles, as opposed to traditional
- For large spaces this layout works well when the dining table is placed adjacent to the kitchen, allowing it to also double as an additional preparation area
- Can appear cluttered, so the more appliances you can integrate into cabinetry or benchtops, the more streamlined it will look
For a seamless transition between living spaces, maintain a consistent flooring, such as timber or tiles
Selecting the best kitchen layout for your space is no easy task and while so would like to make you think otherwise, there’s rarely one layout that suits all spaces. At MW Homes, we’re with you every step of the way and will completely customise your kitchen design to ensure it perfectly suits your space and lifestyle.